Friday, September 28, 2007

Pumpkin Harvest



As most of you know, we live in the country. And like most country folk, we have a burn pile.
It sometimes ends up being our compost pile, too. So, after Halloween is over each year, and my pumpkins are all wrinkled and ruined, they get tossed into the burn pile...to decay.
Well, last year, my sister in law was in her new house for her first Halloween. She loves to decorate for the holidays, and ended up with several pumpkins on her porch. We just happened to be talking one day on the phone about what to do with them after they rot...and I told her to bring them out here and throw them on our burn pile. So she did.
Lo and behold, mid summer comes along, and we see a large pumpkin plant growing next to our burn pile! It yielded the 11 pumpkins shown above!!! How awesome is that? All those pumpkins we dumped on the there last fall...ended up seeding themselves :)
I suppose I better share my bounty with Diana....

2 comments:

Pauline said...

OH AMY how exciting ... a true reason to live in the country but this city girl has to stay put!

Pauline

Artful Creations by Tracie said...

Now that is awesome!!! Fall is my favorite time of the year, I should try that, we have a burn pile too!!! :)