Friday night at 8:25 pm, Eli woke up in respiratory distress. We were prepared with some new tools this time, and things went a lot smoother than the August event! First, I wouldn't let them put a mask on him for oxygen. I made them just give me the tube and I held it in front of his face. Second, I made them give him an "Epi" shot while in the ambulance, and that saved him from getting so bad off before we could get to the hospital. They also give him an albuterol nebulizer treatment. When we were about 5 minutes from the hospital, I he coughed up a "mucus plug" and then he was doing much better. By the time we got to the hospital, it wasn't such a traumatic experience. There was only about 3-5 people in the room, instead of 20!
He started sounding bad again, and hacked up some more gunk. They gave him more breathing treatments, a mucus thinning nebulizer drug, and used an ugly vibrating mallot looking thing on his back to try and loosen up the junk in his lungs.
We finally got up to a room in ICU at around 11:30 pm. Eli gets so wired from all the Epi treatments, that his mind is tired, and he tries so hard...but his heart was just keeping his body from relaxing. So, we had to stand over him with hands on him, trying to keep in asleep. Finally, at 3:30 am he went #2, and after that diaper change...he went to sleep! But only until 5:30 am! Ugh.
He did great in the hospital that day, and was moved to a room in the Pediatric Unit at about 11:00 am. We hung out in there "under observation" through the afternoon. Dr. Bartlett wanted keep us another night, just to see if Eli was getting sick (with a cold, because he was really snot nosed), but I asked to go home. We have home suction, so I can keep his nose clear. Plus, we have a nebulizer, so I can give him breathing treatments. I knew we would all sleep better at home, and that would mean healing quicker!
I get a sore throat everytime we spend the night in the hospital! Germs are everywere! Especially in the ventilation systems, I tell ya! So, I am going to try some Airborne next time! It will go in my hospital bag that I keep packed and in the van.
Eli is doing much better. They thought he might be getting the cold "that is going around". (when isn't something going around?) But his snotty nose was better today, and he was in a fairly good mood considering.
I know many of you are wondering what ever happened with the pH probe results. Well, he has "excessive reflux". But it has taken all this time for Dr. Harthcock (Eli's pediatrician) and the surgeon at Children's Hospital (Dr. Gow) to talk and discuss options. We will meet with Dr. H this week, to decide what to do. Most likely will be getting the Nissen Fundoplication surgery, just not sure when. Will update the blog when I know.